Witchfinder
While Exploring ways to make a limited colour palette to make the images seems older I came across one of the works on Mike Mignola , A well known Comic Artist and Illustrator. Known for his work on the "Hellboy" and "B.P.R.D" series , Mignola's blend of dark , creepy subject matter along with a unique visual style that seems to hark back to the German Expressionist Period.
The Work that drew my interest for this project was his work for "Witchfinder" , A spin from the "Hellboy " series which was written by Mignola as well as him providing cover Illustrations.
Along John Severin providing the images for the comic and colourist Dave Stewart , the teamwork between these three people in particular really pushed the comic to look very true to Mignolas vision and fits perfectly with the world he has created.
You can see Mignola's distinct style for the front cover on the first issue , with its bold shadowing and very strong blocks of colour . It creates a very atmospheric image that Mignola is recognised for.
With the images in Witchfinder you can clearly see some similarities in terms of shadow and colour usage , with a limited palette being deployed to give a sort of washed out look with a varied use of grey with tans and a very light blue . the colours work well together , giving the sense of a very limited colour palette and almost makes the images look older more fitting with the period setting.
For my own project I want to experiment with a limited colour palette to make the images look older , almost sepia. By looking at work like this , it helps me understand how to use colour in a more dynamic way , matching them to create a harmonious blend of colours which give a certain filter or mood to the images.
Maps
I decided quite early on into my roughs for this image that I was going to include a map to symbolise how wireless communication can spread across many continents .
I began looking at old maps to get a feel of how they looked and how I could draw it out myself .
By looking at these I was able to get a rough Idea of what to do for my own map and started drawing and tracing out a rough template for me to build on until I had my finished Image which I used as the background layer on my image .


No comments:
Post a Comment