When Deciding to look into the topic of Wireless communication for my piece, I wanted to get an Idea of how the machinery and the whole concept of the practice worked.
I started by looking at images of the operators, I found a vast amount of images of operators from various books and sites, these are some of the ones I found the most interesting and looked at quite a bit before starting work, studying why they look so interesting to me .
This is one of the most intriguing images I found, presumably from an older text, I found this image on an Boat safe/ SOS distress call site .
Everything about this image appealed to me, the way the figures were placed and framed, pulling my attention straight to them , along with their poignant expressions as well as the dramatic lighting, notice how light the foreground is to draw our attention to the figures and create a sense of drama , as you look further into the background you get this real sense of darkness and shadow which helps make the figure of the older gentleman look as though he is looming over the young man .
I found Lots of photographs depicting Telegraph and Morse code Operators throughout both World Wars , when wireless communication was at its peak for communication and espionage.
This particular Image I found on a site which explains some of the process of some of the training for radio operators .
After looking at photo references , I moved onto some film reference, I watched some scenes from films featuring some morse code and radiotelegraphy scenes, such as "A Night To Remember " and "Titanic " . I then moved on to watching videos featuring the practise , I found some really interesting information films on morse code , explaining how the equipment works and how to decode and structure sentences ect.
I found this really useful in terms of educating myself on the subject more and also by watching figures at work.
The Thrill Electric
A few years Back I came across an Enhanced comic series made for Channel Four entitled "The Thrill Electric " .
The series was set in the Victorian Era and was made to sort of show a Parallel between the Victorian Telegraph Age and the Internet Age.
I revisited the series for this project to look into the information provided and also to take a look at the animations that were dotted amongst the series as I recalled them being very interesting visually .
Relooking into this series proved to be quite useful as I had forgotten how visual and interactive it was with moving panels , sound effects and animation to immerse yourself into the series.
Morse Code
While researching into the process of Morse Code , I began to look into the text that I would use in my image, I decided to look into how Morse code is structured and how I can string sentences together .
I found a simple table , which helped me have a good reference when writing my sentences out . I then double checked it on an online morse code translator .
This is the conversation I constructed accompanied with the morse :
"Mr Greene,
Concerning your previous message on the blueprint guidelines , they have been completed and awaiting your answer .
please respond ASAP.
Mr. Pegg"
-- .-. / --. .-. . . -. . --..-- / -.-. --- -. -.-. . .-. -. .. -. --. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .--. .-. . ...- .. --- ..- ... / -- . ... ... .- --. . / --- -. / - .... . / -... .-.. ..- . .--. .-. .. -. - / --. ..- .. -.. . .-.. .. -. . ... / --..-- / - .... . -.-- / .... .- ...- . / -... . . -. / -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. . - . -.. / .- -. -.. / .- .-- .- .. - .. -. --. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .- -. ... .-- . .-. / .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / .-. . ... .--. --- -. -.. / .- ... .- .--. .-.-.- / -- .-. .-.-.- / .--. . --. --.
"Mr Pegg,
Message received , my deepest apologies for not replying sooner . Please send the guidelines to me and we can begin .
Mr Greene."
-- .-. / .--. . --. --. --..-- / -- . ... ... .- --. . / .-. . -.-. . .. ...- . -.. / --..-- / -- -.-- / -.. . . .--. . ... - / .- .--. --- .-.. --- --. .. . ... / ..-. --- .-. / -. --- - / .-. . .--. .-.. -.-- .. -. --. / ... --- --- -. . .-. / .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / ... . -. -.. / - .... . / --. ..- .. -.. . .-.. .. -. . ... / - --- / -- . / .- -. -.. / .-- . / -.-. .- -. / -... . --. .. -. / .-.-.- / -- .-. / --. .-. . . -. . .-.-.-
I found this process very tedious but rewarding , I had written the whole conversation before converting it to get a sense of how long it would take to write and for someone with very little experience with morse code, it took quite a while but I imagine I would get better with practise
No comments:
Post a Comment